Sunday, September 27, 2020

Making conscious decisions to change.

 Happy Sunday, my friends!

I am so grateful for the beautiful days that have been occurring this past week! It's a friendly reminder that it is FALL! 

This week, I have been learning about making more (and better) conscious decisions in my life. It's not always easy, because sometimes when we are living in the moment, things just happen. But I've been learning that when you take a step back, slow down, and remember those who you need to help, your capability to make those conscious decisions increases. 

I am reminded of the story of the woman who was found in adultery (odd segue, I know, but bear with me). The Pharisees bring the woman to Jesus, and tried to catch Him in His teachings. But Jesus stops and stoops down, and says nothing. After they continue to ask Him, He stands, and says, "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her." The Pharisees, "convicted by their own conscience", walk away. 

Let me tell you why I was reminded of this story. I have been working on my temper lately, and sometimes I remember in the moment of anger to take a step back, so I can calm down and come back when I am calm again. My anger can be represented by the Pharisees. I am like Jesus, and my conscious decision is when He chooses to stoop down. The feelings of anger are like the Pharisees, and they keep pestering me to explode. But, like Jesus, I can stand firm, and not be provoked. 

I know that that is an odd comparison, but I love that the stories and parables found in the scriptures can be applied to so many different situations and circumstances in our lives!

While I haven't been perfect at working on my temper, I know and treasure that I am doing better. I am recognizing when I am upset, and when I am unable to discuss why I am upset. I am getting better at saying, "I don't want to talk about that right now." I am grateful that I have a loving Father in Heaven and Savior who are working with me to become better, and I am grateful that I have a loving and patient husband who has been so understanding.

I'm grateful for the chance to start over each and every week. I am grateful for my Savior, who loves me, and who is by my side. I am grateful for His Atonement, and for His willingness to die for me so that I can repent and try again in order to be able to live with Heavenly Father again. I am grateful that I get to be with my husband for time and all eternity. 

Hope you all have a great week!! September is almost over, and October is almost here! Happy Fall!

Xoxo
Mattie

No comments:

Post a Comment