Sunday, December 22, 2019

The first to see our Shepherd were the shepherds in the fields.

I can't believe that Christmas is this week! I am so very excited! It's going to be so much fun! I also can't believe that it has been a week since I got engaged! It has been such an exciting week already!

Today in sacrament meeting, we had a little testimony meeting and sang Christmas hymns. It was beautiful and touching, and I wanted to share a story that I found on Facebook and share the hymn that I would have liked to have the congregation sing before we ran out of time.

The song I would have liked to have sung is The First Noel. I love the thought that shepherds were among the first to see Him, and that He is our Shepherd. 💜
"Interesting fact: the shepherds in the nativity story were probably no ordinary shepherds. 
In the Mishnah (the written collection of Jewish oral tradition) it “expressly forbids the keeping of flocks throughout the land of Israel except in the wilderness. And only flocks otherwise kept would be those for the temple services.” 
These shepherds were raising lambs that would be sacrificed in the temple—no small task. In fact, a very important task. 
And yet, even as they tended their lambs, when an angel came to tell them of The Lamb, they went immediately to see. They saw that their task to raise animals that would be sacrificed was only important because it led to Christ and His ultimate sacrifice. 
So, they literally left their 99 sheep in search of The One. 
This holiday season, there are a lot of important things on our plate. But I think it is important that we, like the shepherds, realize what each of those events is for and who it is leading us to: Christ. 
And we must be ready at any time, like those shepherds, to leave our 99 to find The One." (Quote from “The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah by Alfred Edershelm)


Art by Daniel Bonnell
I loved this thought and was so grateful to have found it on Facebook. I love the insights and the symbolism of the shepherds and lambs.

“When we see shepherds, may we remember to be humble. When we see wise men, may we remember to be generous. When we see the star, may we remember the Light of Christ, which gives life and light to all things. When we see a tiny baby, may we remember to love unconditionally, with tenderness and compassion.” ~Sister Bonnie L. Oscarson, "Christmas is Christlike Love"

This week is Christmas, and while I am so excited to see my family's faces when they open my gifts to them, I am more excited that I get to be with my family forever because of the birth, life, death, and resurrection of our Savior. Because of His birth, and His life, we have the Perfect example to follow. Because of His death and resurrection, we know that the "grave hath no victory" for He has overcome the world. ðŸ’œ

Merry Christmas! Happy Holidays! Whatever your religion and holidays, I hope you have a blessed holiday season, and a happy New Year! :)

Xoxo
Mattie

No comments:

Post a Comment