Sunday, December 9, 2018

I can #LightTheWorld by serving.

I am so grateful for the people in my life!! It's been a little bit of a crazy week but I have been able to get the support I've needed and it has been a blessing.

God is so good, you guys. I have been very much stressed about this upcoming week because I've got a lot of projects due but I was able to get a blessing at the start of last week and I have been feeling good about all my projects. Still stressed, but I have been feeling like I really can do this! I am still nervous but I know that as long as I set my mind to it, I can focus and finish in the time that I need to!
Finals are coming up and I am nervous about them but I have faith in myself and I know that as I take the time to study for them, I will be blessed for my efforts. I cannot wait to be able to go home and spend the holidays with my family! I am so excited!

I had a sacrament hymn stuck in my head the other day, and I figured out that it was "O God, the Eternal Father", and as I was reading the lyrics, I remembered how much God loves us. How much He desires for us to be able to return to live with Him. Heavenly Father sent His Son to Earth–to be born as mortals are born, and to live as we live. He lived a perfect life, and was the perfect example for us to follow, and emulate. He died for us on the cross, after having suffered for our sins, pains, temptations, afflictions, and anything else we have gone through–physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. He has felt and experienced it all. You are not alone. God made sure that we are able to receive all the love and help that we need in our lives.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This week for Light the World, the focus is Light Your Community. Service doesn't just happen on a grand, global scale. Your own community is full of opportunities to get involved, make a difference, and give as Jesus gave. How can you #LightTheWorld in your community? Get involved! Here are a few examples:

1. Last Monday, there was a terrible accident on BYU's campus in the Tanner building that involved a student, who passed away from their injuries. The following days, there was a place in the Tanner building where people could go and write little positive notes, and I think people could even take flowers to give to people. This was a devastating experience for our campus, but people were able to help spread the love, and that is what is most important. Our community was able to get together and help lift each other up. 

2. Last night, I needed a priesthood blessing, so I asked my friend if he could come over and give me a blessing. He was able to come and give me a short–but very sweet–blessing from my Father in Heaven. I am so thankful for the men in my ward who are always willing to give blessings!! And I am so thankful that I have the faith to ask them for blessings! Priesthood blessings are a two-way street–they are a blessing for me, and they are an opportunity for the men to access and use their priesthood to bless those around them. 

3. Last Tuesday was National Cookie Day, and my Relief Society president passed out cookies to each of our apartments! It was so sweet and thoughtful! I am so grateful for her love and service!!
4. Last Sunday, my roommates and I watched as several of the men from our ward cleared snow off of the cars in the parking lot. I was so amazed at their dedication and love! It was such a blessing for those who might not have had the tools necessary to clear the snow off their cars, or for those who were running late. 

5. My friend had her junior recital Friday night for her major and I was able to go! It was an amazing recital and I am so proud of her! I am so grateful that I was able to go support her! She has worked so hard and is such an amazing musician! I am so proud of her!

These are all just a bunch of examples that I have seen in this past week and I am sure that there will be more in this upcoming week! I am going to pray for more opportunities to serve this week, and also for the ability to recognize those opportunities and attend to the needs of those around me! It doesn't even have to be something big! It can be as small as asking someone how their day went, and then listening as they rant about the worst part of their day. 

I am so thankful for the opportunities that I have to serve in my life. I know that it blesses the lives of those around me as I make time to bless their lives and ease any burdens that they may have. I know that it blesses me, because as I listen to the Spirit, I am able to hear Him more often in my life, and I am able to bless and serve those around me more and more. I am looking forward to serving people throughout the rest of my life!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am so, so thankful! For everything! This year has been crazy...and this semester has been insane...but I wouldn't change it for the world!! I have learned so much, and grown so much, and I am so thankful for the love and support that I have felt from my Father in Heaven! I am grateful that I am in such a great place right now and I am grateful that I have so many amazing things going for me. I am so excited for next month! Not only is my birthday at the end of the month, but exactly 15 days before my birthday I am going to be interviewing with my Bishop and then a member of the Stake Presidency to get my temple recommend so that I can go through the temple for the first time!! I am hoping to be able to go through soon after that! I cannot wait! I am very excited to be able to covenant with my Father in Heaven and to be able to then have the opportunity to bless those on the other side of the veil!! I am grateful that I am able to prepare myself to go through the temple, and I am grateful that I have had the prompting to do so. I am grateful that I have been feeling so much love and support from my family and friends about it!! 

I know that God listens to our prayers. I know that He loves us very much, and that He wants what is best for us! I know that the people that He places in our lives are there for a reason, and that we have something to not only give to them, but that we have something to learn from them. I know that I have a Savior who lived and died for me, and who loves me so much. I know that I have a Father and Mother in Heaven who love me so much, and who want me to be the best that I can be, just like my earthly parents. I am so thankful for the love that I have felt from Them through the Spirit, and I am grateful that I can have that connection with Them through the Holy Ghost. 

Xoxo
Mattie

No comments:

Post a Comment