Sunday, February 1, 2015

Adversity is difficult, but through it, Heavenly Father is making us stronger.

So, my birthday was two days ago, and I got a new laptop! I absolutely love it, and I have been using it constantly. And, because I got a new laptop, this means that I will soon be able to post me singing "Joseph Smith's First Prayer" to the tune of "Come Thou Fount" and I am so excited to have you guys listen to it! I am still sick this week, so I might not get it done until next week, but we will see.

Today I want to talk about adversity. We talked about it in Young Women's, and I learned a lot about it that I had never thought about before. There were several scriptures that we read about adversity:

2nd Nephi 2:11~ For it must needs be, that there is an opposition in all things. If not so, my firstborn in the wilderness, righteousness could not be brought to pass, neither wickedness, neither holiness nor misery, neither good nor bad. Wherefore, all things must needs be a compound in one; wherefore, if it should be one body it must needs remain as dead, having no life neither death, nor corruption nor incorruption, happiness nor misery, neither sense nor insensibility.
                ~We talked about how adversity is a part of life. There can't be happiness if we don't have misery. In the Garden of Eden, Adam and Eve didn't understand misery or happiness, and they just were. They lived in the Garden but weren't necessarily happy or miserable. Once they partook of the fruit of the tree of good and evil, however, their eyes were opened and they had to be cast out, and they were able to have happiness, and sadness, and all other emotions we have (King James Bible, Genesis 3)
Mosiah 23:21~Nevertheless the Lord seeth fit to chasten his people; yea, he trieth their patience and their faith.
                ~Adversity tests our faith and makes it grow. Without adversity and trials, we can't grow. We stay where we are, which isn't good. We are always changing, and adversity helps us change and grow more.
Ether 12:27~And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.
                ~We are given weaknesses so that they can become strengths. Adversity makes us want to change, to be better, and become stronger. Without weakness, we aren't weak, nor strong. We just are. Weaknesses help us become stronger.
Doctrine and Covenants 58: 2-3~2) For verily I say unto you, blessed is he that keepeth my commandments, whether in life or in death; and he that is faithfulin tribulation, the reward of the same is greater in the kingdom of heaven. 3) Ye cannot behold with your natural eyes, for the present time, the design of your God concerning those things which shall come hereafter, and the glory which shall follow after much tribulation.
                ~If we have faith to get through our trial and we get through it, we will receive many blessings.

To conclude, I have a story about adversity. Four years ago, my great-grandpa died a few days before my birthday. The day before my birthday, we went up to Idaho and my birthday was the day of the funeral, I believe. Anyway, it was hard for me. I really miss him, but the way that I got through that trial was I was able to go to his funeral. I was able to get some closure. It was still hard, but I was able to get closure. A year and several months later, my great-grandma died. Again, it was really hard for me, and I miss her so much, and I wasn't able to go to her funeral. I still got closure, though. The day after I found out that she had died, the whole ninth grade at my school got to go to Lagoon. So that whole day, I spent it with my friends, and I was able to take my mind off of the loss of my great-grandmother. It was still hard, and still sad, but both times I was able to get some closure. I know that I will get to see them again, and I know that they are rooting for me, and helping me, and I hope that I can make them proud. I know that families are forever. I know that, even though adversities and trials are so hard, I know that they can make us better people, and I know that blessings come from enduring through them. There is a song entitled "Blessings" by Mercy River. They are an amazing group! I love their songs and the messages that they give. This one is about adversities and trials, so go look it up! It's a good one. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment