Sunday, January 3, 2016

Compassion in trials.

So, funny story: I had an accidental sleepover last night. I had a party with my friends that ran later than I thought it would and my dad didn't want to drive me to Provo that late so I stayed home. 

Anyway, today in Relief Society Sister Sollami taught the lesson and we talked a bit about trials and how they can help us. Several ladies said some very poignant things: 
-Trials help us become more grateful, more patient, and more considerate. 
-Sister Worthington talked about when Jesus and His disciples were in the boat and Jesus fell asleep, His disciples were frightened when the storm came and woke and asked Him, "carest thou not that we perish?" He stood up and said, "Peace, be still" and calmed the storm and the sea. She said that He won't always calm the storm–sometimes we need to go through it–but He will always provide the peace and comfort we need. 
-Trials give us understanding. It's up to us to be willing to lift and help others in trials that are similar to or the same as what we've gone through. 

Compassion is a big part of trials. When we are going through trials, we turn to the Lord for comfort and guidance, and we want others to be compassionate to what we are going through–to be aware that we are having a difficult time and that we need someone to lend a hand, or an ear. When our trial is over, we are then compassionate towards those who have gone through the same or similar trials. We are willing and able to help them get through it.

In my patriarchal blessing, it says that I will be compassionate and understanding of other's needs. Though I didn't outright say, "Mattie, you need to be compassionate and understanding", it's something that I've always tried to do and be. I try to be aware of those around me, and I try to be helpful, and I try to be there for my friends/family when they need me. I had an experience last semester that I think about all the time. I was heading to the library, and I saw a woman, holding a lot of things, with her daughter trailing a few feet behind her, stopping every so often. I asked her if I could help her, and she said, "We're just slow-going." She said that they were returning books to the library, and I said, "I'm heading there now. I could turn them in." And then she said that would be great, except she might have to go up to the 3rd floor to turn the books in, but thank you anyway. And so I went on my way, and I have always regretted that. I don't know why I didn't just say, "Hey, I can do that for you." 

That experience was a lost opportunity for me, but it's made me realize just how much I love helping others. Because I did not help that woman, I felt really bad because I lost an opportunity to bless one of God's children. Being compassionate and serving others makes me happy–I mentioned something like that at the end of a previous blogpost (http://havingachristlikeheart.blogspot.com/2015/12/have-courage-and-be-kind.html). 

I just want those around me to know that they can always turn to me for anything–I will always be there for them. That's what Christ does for me, and for all of us, and so that's what I want to do for my friends and family. I want to always be there for them, because I know what it's like when you need or want someone to be there for you–even if it's just to talk to make you feel better emotionally–and they're not there. I don't want anyone to feel like that. I don't like it when people are sad, or alone, etc. So I've decided that I'll be there. Even if no one else is. I'll be there. Because that's what Christ would do, and what He does. He's always there. So, if I am there for you, just know that I'm there because Jesus Christ cannot personally be there, so He sent me. I hope that's okay with you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment