Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Being an instrument in the Lord's hands.

I have a story. It's actually a very longish story, so bear with me. 

Tuesday night (so, yesterday, May 5th, 2015) for Young Women's, we made truffles for our mothers for Mother's Day. Me being the kind and sweet person I am, I decided to make an additional one for my orchestra teacher--this year is her first Mother's Day with her baby outside of her womb. So, I okayed it with Sister Johnson and I made another one.

Today I had an AP test this morning, which means that I missed first period (my TA period for my orchestra teacher) and second period (orchestra), as well as third (not important, but it was Foods). After my test, I got lunch and ate with my friends and then went to the orchestra room to relax and tell my teacher how it went. Anyway, we talked a lot and she told me how her weekend was and I told her how my test went. I could tell she was a little stressed, annoyed, and tired. She's got a lot going on--our concert is on Tuesday and we have an awards banquet on Monday, and school is coming to a close so she's got grades to do, and we are playing at graduation. So, I went to fourth period, and, after okaying it with my teacher, I left a little early to help my orchestra teacher [Because a), she had asked me to. 2) I wanted to. Three) I felt bad that I had missed my TA period even though she'd already told me before that it was no big deal]. I helped her check and make sure she typed some of the awards correctly, and then I had to go. I later contacted her about something my brothers had done, and then I sent her a music pun:


Realizing as I read it that it may have sounded like I was calling her an angry conductor, I quickly clarified that I didn't think that she was an angry orchestra conductor, I just thought that "tempo tantrum" was hilarious. And then she told me that she'd locked her keys in her car (When I get a car, I am sure I will do this several times) and I felt so bad for her because she'd been having a rough day, and so I sent her this picture: 

And then I just told her that I was sorry that she'd had a bad day. I let her know that I know that she works hard and that I know she's trying and I said that I really admire and look up to her and I know that she's amazing. And then she thanked me and I felt all warm and fuzzy inside, like when you know you've done something good. And then I realized about an hour or so ago that I was giving her the chocolates on Friday! She loves chocolate. And I was like, "I've been an instrument in the Lord's hands! I'm going to be an instrument in His hands! I'm going to make her week awesome!"And I just know that the Lord helped me know what to say to her, and when to say it to her, and I know that He inspired me to make a box of chocolates for her so that she would feel loved, important, of worth, and that she was doing something right. 

In the October 2000 General Conference, in her talk "We Are Instruments in the Hands of God", Sister Mary Ellen Smoot said, "Service is a key to being an effective instrument." And today I served my orchestra teacher by letting her know that I saw her, and that I know that she is trying. I let her know that she is amazing, and I admire and look up to her. She may have felt like she wasn't doing a good job, but I let her know that she was, and I didn't even know that she felt like she wasn't doing a good job. 

God works in mysterious ways–I only knew part of the story, but I was able to address the whole story, and I know that that was because of Heavenly Father. I know that He watches out for us. I know that He loves and cares for us. I know that He sends us what we need when we need it through others. I know that we are instruments in the Lord's hands when we serve others and when we do anything Christlike. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment