Sunday, September 15, 2013

Little children.

I've been thinking a lot about little kids lately, for whatever reason. Maybe it's all the little babies being born lately, or maybe it's the fact that my siblings have been fighting tons the past couple of weeks, or the fact that I've been babysitting quite a bit lately, I don't know. Whatever the reason, I have been thinking of them recently. Just lots of different little things, such as what do they dream about, what do they see, do they remember the Pre-Mortal existence, etc. I've also just been thinking about how children process things [Like, if you ask a three-year old and an eleven-year old the same question (i.e., Why do you hate me?), the three-year old would say something like "Because you took my toy away," or "You ate my food," or something else like that. An eleven-year old would give you stories, examples, and (mostly) good reasons. Why is that?]. I have also been thinking about how children think. Just what kinds of stuff they think about. And how much of kids' 'wild imaginations' is actually wild? Because I bet that sometimes, if not every time, their 'wild imagination' is based on a little bit of truth. And how do they come up with the ideas that they come up with? And why do they always want the same toys? And, most important of all, how do they learn from the examples of their parents, friends, and families? Looking back on my own little siblings, I cannot answer practically any of my questions/thoughts. But I can kind of answer the last one. How do they learn from the examples of the big kids, their parents, friends, and families? Well, I do believe we all know that children repeat what they see/hear, yes? Yes. The answer to my question is this: because for some reason, little kids want to be like their bigger siblings and their parents. It's as simple as that. They don't want to be left out, so they try and act like those who aren't being left out, thinking that maybe they'll be brought in. I think it's also because they want to end up like them, too. They see that their siblings, parents, etc. have a happy life, a nice life, a good life, and they want one like it, so they try and act like the person who has the good life that they want. But mostly, I think that the reason is because, deep, deep, deep in their little child brains, they see Christlike attributes in these people. I think that, very deep in their memories, they remember certain things about Christ, and they see those in the big people in their lives. Note that this is just my personal opinion, but when I think about it, it kind of makes sense. Because their family and friends are all trying to be like Jesus, and the children see this. They see the Christlike attributes in their families and they want to have them, too. Also, children who grow up in a not-so-happy home want and, I think, cleave to those Christlike qualities that they see in the parents/older siblings of their friends that have nice and happy homes. Luke 18:16 says, "But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Suffer little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God." And Matthew 18:3 says, "And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven." Jesus has said to be as a little child. However, He doesn't mean act like them, although it is fun. He means to be teachable and innocent like a little child. 

No comments:

Post a Comment